There has been a significant reduction in the number of people who died on the roads since January 2017, a report says.
The report by the National Transport and Safety Authority has showed that 766 people died on the road between January 1 and April 2 compared to 847 during a similar period in 2016.
This represented an encouraging decline of 9.6 per cent in road fatalities compared to last year where 81 more died.
In the four months under review, pedestrians still led the number of those killed on the roads accounting for 296 deaths, passengers were 179, and 137 motorcyclists.
The report shows 77 drivers were killed and 66 cases pillion passengers with and 11 pedal cyclists.
This represented a small reduction from 2016 statistics where 326 pedestrians, 180 passengers, 142 motor cyclists, 105 drivers, 69 pillion passengers, and 25 pedal cyclists died.
Those who sustained slight to serious injuries fell significantly except for pillion passengers and motor cyclists.
Between January and the beginning of April a total of 1,130 people were seriously injured compared to 1,374 in a similar period last year.
What is common though is that vehicle passengers, pedestrians and motor cyclists continue to suffer the most on the road. They contribute more than two-thirds of all road injuries.
Those slightly injured fell from 1,684 in 2016 to 1,336 this year. Still, 1,043 out of 1,336 injuried in 2017 were motor vehicle passengers. The agency’s communication director Dido Guyatu had said in an interview that the reduction in deaths was due to measures put in place.
She cited the erection of pedestrian fences along high-risk roads. This ensured pedestrians crossed busy highways at designated places.
The introduction of early morning, midday and late afternoon speed checks coupled with evening patrols have also played a part, she said.
Ms Guyatu said the safety authority had an App, which is used by road users, to report reckless driving and also incidents on the road.