The death toll from the collapse of a building in Kisii has risen to six.
Rescue teams were battling to save a woman trapped under the rubble and was crying for help on Wednesday evening.
The four-storey building came down on Wednesday morning at Mwembe area.
Kisii County Disaster Management boss Julius Tinega said six bodies, including that of a Standard One pupil, had been retrieved from the remains of the ill-fated building.
“We have saved 25 lives so far but unfortunately six, who include a class six pupil, have lost their lives, ” he said, adding that the rescue mission could be affected by rains pounding the region.
Police had a rough time controlling anxious onlookers at the scene.
The incident has rekindled the controversy over unregulated construction in the town with one of the biggest populations in the country.
The National Disaster Management Unit Communications Officer Pius Maasai said 30 more people had been trapped in the debris.
He said 24 people had been hospitalised and that Kenya Defence Forces have been called in to assist in the rescue operation.
Mr Julius Orare, who lives in a residential near the collapsed building said he was in the shower when he heard tremors.
He went to check and saw the building had collapsed.
Mr John Omori , another witness, said he was on his way to work at 8.15am when he saw the building collapsing.
“There were some people on top when the building came tumbling down,” he said.
The incident comes barely a year after a seven- floor building collapsed in central Kisii killing eight people.
Additional reporting by Jadson Manduku.
Kenya Defence Forces to assist in rescue operation.