Caesarean section gone awry hands woman pain, huge bill

A Caesarean section that went awry has left the life of a young wife in near shreds and her family with a huge medical bill in their hands.

And the family of Ms Jane Kemuma is pointing an accusing finger at surgeons at Christmarrianne Mission Hospital in Kisii, who they accuse of having left two pieces of gauze in her womb after the Caesarean section, causing her painful medical complications.

But the hospital has come out fighting and denied culpability, saying the family has neither filed a formal complaint with them nor was there proof the facility handled the patient.

Ms Kemuma’s agony started in December when, heavy with child, she went to the hospital to deliver.

According to hospital records, copies of which the Nation obtained, what the patient had hoped would be a normal delivery took a different twist when she was diagnosed with umbilical cord relapse – a situation in which the umbilical cord comes out of the uterus with or before the foetus.

It is a relatively rare condition and occurs in less than one per cent of pregnancies and is more common in women who have had a rupture of their amniotic sac.

Realising the danger she was in, doctors recommended a Caesarean section, which was conducted. She was happy when she was told her new born son was in good health, weighing 3.2 kilos.

But the joy was short-lived as, hardly 24 hours later, the baby died, in what the family termed as mysterious circumstances. He was buried in the family’s rural home in Borabu.

After her discharge, a week later, Ms Kemuma started complaining of nausea and abdominal pains and was taken for review at Kisii Medical Diagnostic and Imaging Clinic.

But without an ultrasound machine, the hospital could not determine the problem and duly referred her to Kisii Medical Diagnostic and Imaging clinic.


The clinic conducted the first ultra sound on January 14, 2017, which determined that there was a build-up of fluid in the right side of the pelvic region and the uterus appeared bulky.

“We were advised to take her back to Christamarianne for a second surgery to drain the fluid accumulating in her abdomen,” said her husband Mr Shem Obwoge, a primary school teacher.

The physician at the clinic prescribed some antibiotics and advised that the patient be admitted to hospital for close monitoring.

At Oasis Medical Clinic, where she was taken, a surgeon ruled out another surgery, saying it would weaken the abdomen further.

She was placed on an antibiotic treatment and was discharged from Oasis three days later after recording improvement.

“The surgeon at Oasis advised that I continue with the drugs I was given since I was responding positively,” said Ms Kemuma.

The family’s relief was however short-lived as she relapsed after only a day at home and was taken to Tenwek Mission Hospital in Bomet County.


She underwent an X-ray and radiology examination, which revealed that there were two large pieces of gauze in her womb. A CT Scan was recommended to locate their exact position.

“The CT SCAN report showed 2 masses on the right and left side of the abdomen. There was also a huge fluid collection,” said Mr Lazarus Obwoge, a brother-in-law to Janet.

The patient was then taken to Nakuru Maternity and Nursing Home on January 23, 2017.

At the nursing home, the surgeon was able to remove the two abdominal packs as well as 2.8 litres of pus that had accumulated in the abdomen. The patient is currently recuperating at the same hospital.

The family says it was only fair for the Christamarianne Mission Hospital to compensate their kin for the trauma she has gone through and the pain that came with it, which they blame on the Caesarean section. The family lawyer declined to reveal the amount they would be demanding as compensation.

“We have spent a lot of money to treat my wife. It is only right that the hospital responsible for her condition to date, meets the cost” said Janet’s husband.

Midiwo attacked on Twitter over his gambling Bill

Blow as Jubilee legislator joins ODM ahead of polls