Tusker suspend coach Nsimbe over ‘too many old payers’ comment

Reigning SportPesa Premier League (SPL) champions Tusker have suspended head coach George ‘Best’ Nsimbe until the end of the season, Nation Sport understands.

The Ugandan has been working on borrowed time after the team failed to defend the titles won last year. Tusker was knocked out of the GOtv Shield by National Super League (NSL) outfit Vihiga United on August 20 while hopes of retaining the league gong have been fast fading following a bad start to the season with recent results not convincing enough to chase down runaway leaders Gor Mahia.

ABSENT

The Ugandan tactician was not in the dugout as Tusker humiliated Muhoroni Youth 4-0 on Sunday.

Club CEO Charles Obiny is said to have informed the players of the coach’s suspension on Tuesday.

“He will not be with us until the end of the season, that’s what we were informed after today’s (Tuesday) training session. The decision on his future will be made at the completion of the season,” one of the senior players told Nation Sport.

Nation Sport understands that the decision to suspend the Ugandan, who replaced compatriot Paul Nkata at the beginning of the season on a two-year deal, was reached at in a stormy meeting at the club base in Ruaraka last week.

Nsimbe was quoted by a section of the local media saying the club had “too many old players” and that they needed younger players to mount a strong title challenge next year. The comments did not go well with some of the players.

BARAZA TAKES OVER

They even mocked the coach by walking with imaginary sticks while celebrating two of their four goals in their 4-0 win over Muhoroni Youth – where the coach watching from the terraces.

Nsimbe’s assistant Francis Baraza has been appointed as the caretaker coach to the end of the season.

baraza_pix Tusker suspend coach Nsimbe over 'too many old payers' comment

Tusker FC assistant coach Francis Baraza looks on during their SportPesa Premier League against Muhoroni Youth at Ruaraka ground on October 15, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |NATION MEDIA GROUP

It is not yet clear who will assist Baraza but the club’s director of youth development Leonard Odipo is a possible candidate.

Nsimbe’s suspension was no surprise to local football enthusiasts. Nation Sport has learnt that the Ugandan was issued with a warning letter after the club exited the GOtv Shield in the quarter-finals following an embarrassing 2-0 loss to Vihiga United.

Having won the league and GOtv Shield last season, much was expected from the side but they kicked off the 2017 season on a poor note, bowing out of the Caf Champions League in the first round qualifier to lowly AS Port Louis from Mauritius.

SHARP DIVISIONS

A number of players at the club have in the past accused the two coaches of favouritism on squad selection which has created sharp divisions at the club.

Nsimbe joins Western Stima coach Henry Omino and his deputy Patrick Odhiambo who were shown the door midway in the season.

Stewart Hall and Dorian Marin (AFC Leopards), Gilbert Selebwa (Muhoroni Youth), James Nandwa (Thika United), Jose Marcelo Ferreira (Gor Mahia), Italian Giovani Troiani (Nakumatt FC) and George Maina (Muhoroni Youth) are the other coaches who left their respective sides in the ongoing season.

PRESS STATEMENT BY RAILA ODINGA: NASA TO HONOUR MURDERED SUPPPORERS ON SHUJAA DAY

Chebukati cannot edit poll results — Supreme Court