NAIROBI, KENYA: Safaricom network has resumed in Hulugho Sub County of Garissa, five months after Al Shabaab militants brought down the firm’s telecommunication mast in the area bordering Somalia.
The militants shot down the mast with a rocket knocking out cellphone communication in this remote and impoverished area.
Hulugho residents were happy on Tuesday when the network resumed and commended safaricom for restoring communication.
Ijara deputy county commissioner Julius Too was among leaders who appreciated the national government and Safaricom for connecting the area to the rest of the world.
A resident Mr Mohamed Gure,Mr Yakub Isse and Halima mohamed said they had been going to sangailu about 60km for from hulugho town in order to communicate to their relatives and those seeking Mpesa services.
Meanwhile military intelligence says they have combed the area and assured resident that the area is safe along the common border with Kenya and appealed to resident to report suspicious character.