in

President urges youth to shun chaos

President Uhuru Kenyatta urged the youth not to be used by politicians to cause violence during party primaries and the General Election.

The President, who spoke at the funeral of Mzee William Gatuhi Murathe, further told aspirants to accept the nomination results for they will be free and fair.

“If the residents do not vote in your favour, accept and move on. There will be winners and losers,” he said.

He warned youths against being exploited by politicians or being misled to cause chaos.

“We want peaceful elections and not those being witnessed in some parts of the country,” he said.

DIVISIVE POLITICS
The President reiterated that the party is not supporting any aspirant across the 33 counties where nominations will take place, but will work with those elected.

President Kenyatta also urged Kenyans to remain peaceful and united during the nominations and as the General Election draws near.

READ MORE:  Uhuru cancels tours of upper eastern and western Kenya

This follows chaotic scenes witnessed in parts of the country even as his party prepares for the primaries on April 21.

The Head of State warned leaders against dividing Kenyans on tribal lines.

“I pray that as we go through this particular period that we shall remain peaceful and focused on a great future for our country,” he noted.

POLITICAL APPOINTEES
Devolution Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri and his Water counterpart Eugene Wamalwa drummed up support for the President’s re-election bid.

The duo further lauded the electoral commission’s declaration that ministers are free to campaign for their boss following protests by the Opposition.

“We cannot spend an entire day tilling then someone says we were relaxing in the house. It is only right that we counter such accusations,” Mr Kiunjiri said.

Mr Wamalwa argued that they were political appointees and can engage the Opposition in politics.

READ MORE:  Raila says NASA has no faith in the integrity of voters register

“We were appointed to implement the Jubilee manifesto, we must also work to defend the same manifesto. But now that someone wants to sack us, we wish him well as he is highly unlikely to do so,” he said.

GOVERNORSHIP RACE
Among those present during the funeral in Gatanga was Peter Kenneth who is engaged in a bitter battle for the Jubilee ticket in Nairobi with Senator Mike Sonko. On that subject, Mr Kenyatta said:

“Pray for your former MP’s success in his Nairobi race. He is one of you.”

Mr Kenneth represented Gatanga in Parliament between 2002 and 2013 when he resigned to contest the presidency only to finish a distant fourth.

READ MORE:  Ababu Namwamba blames Orange party for his LPK membership and leadership woes

Mr Sonko has previously alleged a plot by the Jubilee leadership to deny him the ticket in favour of Mr Kenneth.

He is said to have rejected overtures to withdraw from the race in favour of Mr Kenneth and he is listed as one of the aspirants who will battle it out during the primaries for the Nairobi gubernatorial seat.

Besides Mr Kenneth and Mr Sonko, former Starehe MP Margaret Wanjiru is also running.

CANCER BATTLE
Others in attendance were National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi, Transport CS James Macharia and Director of the Criminal Investigations Ndegwa Muhoro.

Mombasa Governor aspirant Suleiman Shahbal was also present,

Businessman William Gatuhi Murathe died on April 7 in a Nairobi hospital after a battle with cancer.

His widow, Mercy Murathe, described him as a hardworking and intelligent man.

Confusion, delays mark day two of ODM primaries

President hopes to boost support base in Kisumu tour