President Uhuru Kenyatta is unlikely to have his address to Parliament, and the entire nation, interrupted in the same manner that it was last year.
But it is also likely that he might end up addressing lawmakers from the coalition he heads as the Opposition stays away to signify their discontent with his administration.
Suna East MP Junet Mohammed on Tuesday said it was unlikely there would be demonstrations on the floor like those that delayed the start of the State of the Nation address for 30 minutes last year.
“Tomorrow (Wednesday) there will be no acrimony because we are planning to listen to the President keenly, attentively and obediently,” said Mr Mohammed, who is also the ODM director of elections. He said the Opposition planned to have its own state of the nation address about two days after the one by the President.
Mr Mohammed said the Opposition would be happy to hear a commitment from the President for free, fair and credible elections in August. “I want to hear that from him because that is a very important day for this country,” he said.
He said President Kenyatta would be expected to state the achievements of his administration rather than make the promises that are expected in an election year.
Ugunja MP Opiyo Wandayi, one of the main protagonists of the protests last year, said he will miss the event.
“The whole idea has lost its purpose. The President has previously turned it into a platform to churn out Jubilee propaganda and to try to salvage the dwindling fortunes of his failing regime,” he said.
The National Assembly will not have a sitting this morning. Majority Leader Aden Duale said this is to facilitate the extra security measures as well as clean-up.
“There will be need for extra seats in this chamber for the extra members,” said Speaker Justin Muturi.