in

Police used in anti-riot shootings ordered to surrender guns for tests

Police officers who used their guns to quell protests following the the declaration of presidential lection results have been ordered to surrender them for ballistic tests.

Deputy Inspector General of Police Joel Kitili also instructed his juniors to investigate all cases of gun deaths and injuries.

ALSO READ:

Charity Ngilu: I will work with both winners and losers

At least 24 people have been killed since the August 8 elections in various parts of the country. Dozens others are nursing wounds in various hospitals.

In a memo fired on Saturday Mr Kitili ordered a thorough probe into the killings and injuries following an outcry that police were using excessive force.

“Similarly, all such firearms must be submitted for ballistic examination and case files disposed of through the normal legal process. In addition, all incidents reported must be investigated and follow-up reports sent to headquarters indicating their status,” Kitili ordered.

LIVE BULLETS

The order came following complaints that police were using live bullets and other forms of excessive force to contain the violence.

Some Government officials have defended the move and argued that those shot were looters.

Acting Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i and Nairobi Regional Co-ordinator Bernard Leparmarai said they were not aware police used live bullets and investigations had been launched.

More than 100 people sustained serious injuries in parts of Nairobi, Kisumu, Homa Bay, Migori, Busia and Siaya counties in protests against the presidential election results.

ALSO READ:

Opinion: Why debilitating expressions should be shunned

The Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) and Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International said they had evacuated 157 casualties, some of who had bullet wounds.

MSF said by Saturday evening, their teams across the country had evacuated and treated 64 people, and 11 had bullet wounds.

“Due to the intense protests and safety concerns, more than 2,000 KRCS personnel experienced difficulties accessing in parts of Nairobi and Nyanza, and were initially unable to respond promptly. The personnel managed to access these areas in the early hours of the morning (Saturday) and responded to multiple emergency cases,” said KRCS boss Abbas Gullet.

In Nairobi, the casualties included nine cases in Kibera and 27 in Mathare 4A and Mathare North. In Kisumu, chaos was reported in Kondele, Manyatta and Car Wash, where 14 cases were attended to by KRCS

 

Careers at risk as veterans felled by race for public office

Raila’s announcement on way forward postponed to Wednesday