in

Moi University chancellor dismisses closure notice as fake

Moi University Acting Vice-Chancellor Prof Laban Ayiro has refuted reports circulating on social media that the institution has been closed indefinitely following the lecturers’ strike.

This follows an internal memo that purported to indicate that the university had been closed and students asked to vacate all the campuses by February 15, 2017.

“This is to inform all the students and staff that with effect from 14th February 2017, all campuses of Moi University shall be indefinitely closed due to the ongoing lecturer’s strike,” read part of the memo on social media.

The memo which contained the university letter head went on to say, “This comes as a result of senatorial deliberations made on 13th February 2017. All students are therefore expected to vacate the university by 15th February 2017.”

In the memo, the students were told to expect any further communication through the university website.

But in a quick rejoinder, Prof Ayiro termed the social media notification as fake, stressing that the institution was still in session.

“That notification is fake and to say the least wicked. Our students have contained themselves in a dignified manner and I commend them unreservedly,” said the VC.

The memo dated February 14 and sent to all the students was purportedly signed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Prof I.N Kimengi and copied to the VC, all deans, director of schools and all heads of departments.

CJ David Maraga says Judiciary ready to handle election disputes

Mwakwere in grand cross-over from Tanzania to NASA