Man shot as Lucky Summer residents protest against meeting

One person was injured by a stray bullet as Nairobi’s Lucky Summer residents protested against a meeting they suspected was being attended by members of the outlawed Mungiki sect.

The residents questioned the motive of the group whose attendants said they were at a prayer meeting. The residents became suspicious when they noticed the absence of women in the meeting.

“Which prayer meeting happens without any women? And why were they slaughtering goats, pouring the blood down in a circle then drinking it and smearing it on their clothes?” asked one of the protesting youth.
They barricaded the road using stones and started burning tyres.

The residents claimed that those who were gathered there were armed with clubs, machetes and that some even had guns.


“How can they tell us that it’s a prayer meeting when you see them wielding clubs and pangas. We are fearing that these are Mungiki. I saw them in the morning, they don’t look like people holding prayers,” added Charles Binyanya.

He added that the group came in at around 6am in the morning, marked the venue of their meeting by an arrow and then started lighting fires and slaughtering the animals.

There was a police land cruiser parked between the protesting youth and those said to be holding a prayer meeting.

Police started shooting to disperse the crowd and it is not clear at which point the man who has been identified as Simon Mbegi was shot.

A Nation Media Group vehicle rushed the man to Uhai Neema Hospital for treatment. Mr Mbegi was shot in the stomach.


The meeting was held at a place identified as “Kwa Gathecha”. A closer look at the venue showed tens of big cars parked nearby. The purported prayer meeting was being held inside a closed off tent. Some of those who attended the meeting wore red bands on their heads.

Calls to police to respond on the shooting incident and if the group had received a permit to hold their meeting went unanswered.

Nairobi County Police Commander Mr Japhet Koome said he was out of town and could not comment on the issue while the area OCPD couldn’t be reached on phone.

KFS says half of Ngong Forest grabbed