A North Eastern security and administration chief who was interdicted soon after a terrorist attack at the Garissa University which claimed 148 lives has moved to court to have his job back.
Former Garissa CID boss Musa Chelelgo Yego who was among nine security and administrative officers from the region who were removed from office for failing to prevent the April 2, 2015 terrorist attack, has sued the National Police Service Commission and the Inspector General of Police.
Mr Yego who was in the Service since 1981, claimed that the interdiction has left him in suspension for two years without any explanations from his employer or the IG.
Through his lawyer Nelson Mutai, he has denied being responsible for the fateful terrorist attack and ever being negligent in performing the functions of his office.
Instead, he argued that if fair administration action is to be taken on reasonable timeliness, he has ultimately been subjected to unnecessary agony.
“The decision of the Commission to interdict him on public interest is outright contemptuous on the part of excellent service rendered by him, there are no reasons as to why the sued parties cannot take an administrative decision,” Mr Mutai said.
In his case documents, he claimed that the officers who were suspended from office were not the ones in charge at the time of the tragedy.
He alleged that it was unreasonable to deny him an opportunity to serve after explaining to his bosses that he had been on official duty at a shooting competition in Gilgil to officially command the Northeastern docket on the day of the attack.
Mr Yego has served at the Kenya Police College between 1988 and 1996 as an instructor before being promoted to a Senior Sergeant and Inspector of Police.
Between 1996 and 2002, he served as OCPD in Langata, Dandora and Buruburu where crime was reportedly reduced during his tenure and saw him promoted to a Chief Inspector.
He has also served in the Africa Mission in Darfur, Sudan, as the Chief of operations as well as Contingent Commander of the Kenya Civilian Police and in the Flying Squad.
He was transferred to North Eastern as the County Criminal officer in June 2013 when there were was a rise in attacks from Al-Shabaab.
He said that he used to report to the DCI, sensitised the locals on security vigilance through Nyumba Kumi initiative and radio stations in the area.
But he was investigated and sent on suspension by a Mr Mohammed Amin who blamed failure on his part on him.
And following the suspension, Mr Amin unfairly threw away Mr Yego’s house-hold property from his residence at the time without notifying him.
He now wants the court to suspend the April 18, 2015 decision to remove him from office and that he be allowed to work until he attains the retirement age of 60.