Kennedy Onyango Obiero who is vying for the Kisumu West Member of Parliament seat on an ODM Ticket [Photo: Phillip Orwa/Standard]
There was confusion over who would oversee the ODM nominations in Kisumu following the disbandment of the County Elections Board by the political parties tribunal last Friday.
By 4.30pm Sunday, it was not clear if a new board had been constituted.
The Political Parties Disputes Tribunal disbanded the board following a suit filed by two voters, who claimed it was wrongly constituted.
A section of aspirants raised fears that the confusion would create unnecessary anxiety during the exercise, which is expected to be hotly contested in almost all the seats.
Senatorial aspirant Fred Outa, National Assembly aspirants Sam Okello, and Richard Ogendo, both seeking Kisumu Central constituency seat, as well as Kennedy Onyango who is seeking Kisumu West constituency seat told The Standard that they were optimistic the exercise would be free and fair.
Kennedy Onyango of Kisumu West constituency said the confusion had placed the primaries in jeopardy and regretted it could have a negative impact on the party’s bid to reclaim the seat.
He said there was conflicting information about the location of the main tallying centres.
Sam Okello said aspirants were not aware of plans to ensure a smooth exercise. “By now, we would have known if a board is in place and even had a meeting with them to brief us about the exercise,” he said.
National Assembly aspirants Onyango Oloo, Richard Ogendo, as well as governor aspirant Hezron McObewa said the party was well prepared for the exercise.
Last week, after disbanding the troubled board, which had been accused by a section of residents of being partisan, the tribunal ordered ODM to constitute a new board with members from outside Kisumu County.