An eight-year-child died on Sunday in Bumula, Bungoma County when his mother locked him in a car.
The woman and her lover are said to have left the child in the vehicle, without the engine running and went to a lodging near Mateka market.
Mateka location Chief Mr Julius Barasa said the woman, identified as Christine Nasimiyu and her lover left the child in the car and went to the guest house where they had booked a room.
“They left him with three bottles of soda but the baby died due to lack of fresh air,” said the Chief.
Police had to rescue the two from an angry mob that wanted to lynch them.
The two were arrested and are held at Bumula Police Station while the body of the boy was taken to Bungoma County Referral Hospital mortuary.
Mr Joseph Lupao, a children officer condemned the two for abandoning the child in the car.
“This is absurd and very wrong, a child has died due to carelessness. They should be charged in court,” he said.
According to kidsandcars.com, children locked in cars die of vehicular heatstroke.
The website explains that inside of a vehicle heats up very fast when locked, and temperatures can reach as high as 125 degrees in minutes.
This high temperature causes the body temperature of the child to be greater than 40 degrees causing hypothermia and death. The website states that a child’s body overheats three to five times faster than an adult body.