Autopsy on death of student in anti-IEBC demos out

A Form Four student killed in Kisumu during anti-IEBC protests suffered multiple gunshot wounds, an autopsy report has revealed.

Michael Okoth, 18, was found lying dead in a pool of blood with visible injuries on the throat and legs on Monday afternoon.

The autopsy report corroborates witness accounts that the boy was shot more than once.

Witnesses had claimed that Okoth was shot in the neck and when he fell, a dreadlocked man in police uniform slit his throat to remove the bullet.

“As a result of my examination, I formed the opinion that the cause of death was multiple injuries in the neck following gunshot wounds,” Dr Dixon Mchana, the government pathologist in charge of the postmortem done on Wednesday at the Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital, said.

There was an exit wound and a fracture at the mandible penetrating through the chin, the pathologist observed.


According to sources who were at the hospital, police witnesses present during the autopsy alleged that the victim was shot three times given the gaping holes.

“Three bullets couldn’t have penetrated through a single entry with different exit points,” the source, who sought anonymity, said.

It was alleged that there had been an attempt by police to carry out a postmortem on the body of the student without involving family members in what was being viewed as a cover-up.

It took the intervention of civil society groups, family and neighbours, who kept vigil at the morgue, for the postmortem to be postponed.

Kisumu police commander Titus Yoma, who has now been transferred to Garissa, had denied that police shot at protesters and ordered investigations into the killing of Okoth.

He had argued the killer may have been an intruder who had also been assaulting boda boda riders and torching their motorcycles near Kenya Medical Training College, Kisumu Campus.

Meanwhile, Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o alleged that some outlawed gangs had infiltrated the police force and were being used to kill Nasa supporters during the demonstrations.

Okoth’s killing and baby Shantel Mary’s shooting have only added to the many cases the Independent Police Oversight Authority is investigating in regards to excessive use of force by police.

Ms Lydiah Kageha, the mother of two-year-old Shantel shot while playing with other children in Nyamasaria, is a worried woman.

She said she is not sure if Shantel will grow up without a deformity.

“What really scares me is that Shantel walks while leaning on one side, she is scared of hurting the healing wounds,” Ms Kageha said.

Shantel was shot on Tuesday during anti-IEBC demonstrations in Kisumu.

Another victim, Mr Rashid Odhiambo, said even though he was writhing in pain nursing a gunshot wound, he has all the reasons to thank God because he is alive.

Mr Odhiambo was shot on October 9 in the groin and he is recovering at referral hospital.

“I am just hoping that when I get out of this bed, I will be able to work normally and function again like a man,” he said.

According to Mr Odhiambo, he was shot while he was heading to Otonglo, where he worked as a welder.

Police have however denied firing at protesters, and there have been claims that the attack may have been by intruders impersonating the police.

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch report bares police brutality.

Nanok: No demos in Lodwar on poll day

Ezra Chiloba: My tormentors stand with me in private