Anyang’ Nyong’o renews attack on Governor Ranguma

Kisumu Senator and gubernatorial candidate Anyang’ Nyong;o (right with his running mate Mathews Owili during a press briefing in Kisumu on July 7 2017. (Collins Oduor, Standard)

Senator Anyang’ Nyong’o has renewed his onslaught on Governor Jack Ranguma’s county government. The ODM gubernatorial candidate claims he has evidence of misuse of public funds through dubious tenders.

Speaking in his Kisumu office, Nyong’o claimed 73 companies had “questionably” been awarded tenders to lay storm water drainage culverts in the current Financial Year.

He said the tenders, most of which are worth Sh2.9 million, had been “deliberately spread out to circumvent tender procedures.” 

The law, Nyong’o said, allowed counties to issue contracts worth below Sh3 million without making them public. He also alleged the companies were allied to senior State officials and had been awarded contrary to procedures.

When contacted, County Secretary Ojwang’ Lusi said he could not comment on the matter. Anti-corruption raided the county offices and seized computers three days ago. Chief Officer of Finance George Ongaya denied knowledge of the raid.

ALSO READ:

Nyong’o, Ranguma trade barbs over county projects

The snake charmer with a bulging purse

Tourism fails to kick at Kwale graves