60 fall ill after eating ‘anthrax’ meat in Murang’a

mnmtcgj1pkxcb9vmz1596fc481c396c 60 fall ill after eating 'anthrax' meat in Murang’a

At least 60 people who allegedly ate uninspected meat at Gathaithi village in Kahuro sub-county, Murang’a County have been screened for anthrax.

The victims, among them school children, were Wednesday rushed to Muriranja District Hospital after they developed symptoms associated with anthrax and food poisoning.

Two victims were admitted and referred to Kiria-ini Mission Hospital for further treatment. The victims included pupils from Gathaithi Upper and Maria-ini primary schools in Murarandia ward.

The man who allegedly sold the uninspected meat disappeared after learning that his neighbours had fallen sick.

The hospital medical superintendent, Dr Kairo Kimende, said two victims were admitted for further treatment and observation after they complained of severe abdominal pains. 

ALSO READ:

More proactive approach required to effectively stamp out cholera

Research: These medicines can walk you into road accidents

State plans Uchumi exit after retailer’s recovery